Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Read and Share Toddler Bible

The Read and Share Toddler Bible was, overall, a decent book. The book is targeted towards toddlers and so I had a few issues with the book. Some of the stories were not written in a way that a Toddler could grasp. For example, Adam and Eve – after they admitted that they ate the fruit God said “out you go … you can’t live in the garden anymore” this sends the wrong message that children may be asked to leave if they sin. I also wondered why some stories were selected to tell over other stories that may have been more appealing to a toddler. The illustrations were great and I enjoyed the way each story had the original bible selection listed. From an educator stand point – I found the learning suggestions for parents (found after each story) were a good quality. Some were a tad too farfetched. As for the DVD, well…. I think that they had nice intentions; however I think some stories were too straightforward for a toddler. For example when the Kings wife temps Joseph, the acting out is a bit suggestive. The story of Balaam and the Donkey showed him beating the donkey and threatening to kill him. Overall I feel that some stories and word choices were a little too extreme for toddlers. Would I buy this for a gift? Probably not. With the selected Bible stories in this book targeted towards little children, I felt that some stories needed to be handled with a more delicate nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment